Timor Leste 1 Myanmar 2


Timor Leste 1 Myanmar 2

Photo credit: Asean Football Federation

Click here to view the match summary

Yangon: Kyi Lin netted a goal in each half as Myanmar claimed their second win in the AFF Suzuki Cup Qualification Round with a 2-1 victory over Timor Leste on Sunday.

Myanmar dominated the opening half with a high tempo pressing game and Kyi Lin gave them the lead in the 38th minute when he headed home a corner by David Htun.

Timor Leste got back on level terms 10 minutes after the restart through Alan Leandro but Kyi Lin sprung the Timorese offside trap in the 73rd minute and finished neatly to send the hosts to the top of the qualification group with a maximum six points from two games.

Timor Leste captain Jesse Pinto returned after missing his team’s opening win against Cambodia with a thigh injury and Emerson Cesario started in goal for the Timorese after also sitting out that match following his late arrival in Yangon on Friday.

Myanmar made only one change from their 1-0 win against Brunei with Moe Win coming in to beef up the home side’s defence as coach Park Sung-hwa sought to neutralise the big striking duo of Alan and Murilo who had caused huge problems for Cambodia in their opening game.

Despite the hot conditions at the Youth Training Centre for the afternoon match, Myanmar played at a high tempo during the first half as they sought to break up the rhythm of the Timorese side.

Myanmar’s first real chance arrived in the 15th minute when Kyi Lin floated in a cross for Kaung Si Thu who headed over.

At the other end, a foul by Yaza Win Thein on Jesse Pinto resulted in a Timor Leste free-kick 20 metres from goal that Diogo drove towards the bottom right corner only to be denied by Thiha Si Thu’s diving stop.

Shortly after that, Kyaw Zayar Win exchanged passes with David Htun on the right flank before lobbing a shot from just inside the box that went narrowly wide of the far post.

Myanmar had the ball in the net in the 36th minute when Zaw Min Tun rose above the defence to head in a Zayar Win corner but his effort was disallowed as the referee had blown up for an infringement.

But there would be no let-off for the Timorese two minutes later as Htun’s deep cross from the right picked out Kyi Lin, who ghosted in at the far post to head past a helpless Emerson.

Myanmar were good value for their lead at half-time but they appeared ragged at the start of the second half as they struggled to regain their tempo and lost possession with a series of loose passes.

The Timorese took full advantage in the 55th minute when Diogo beat Zaw Min Tun on the right and cut the ball back from the byline for an unmarked Alan to slot home easily.

Stung by conceding the goal, Myanmar soon regained their composure and Zayar Win nearly restored the lead in the 63rd minute when he curled an attempt from the left past Emerson but saw the ball come back off the far post.

However, the home side would regain the lead with 17 minutes left. Pai Soe floated in a cross from the left towards an unmarked Kyi Lin and with the Timorese defence waiting for an offside call, the 20-year-old took his time before slipping the ball between the legs of Emerson.

The home side could have added to their lead with nine minutes left when Zayar Win guided Kaung SI Thu’s cut-back towards goal with an outstretched boot only to be denied by Emerson’s sprawling save.
AFF Suzuki Cup Sponsors